What I liked about your book (a lot)
1. Fast pace, short chapters, easy to follow narrative, I read it over 3-4 days and was sorry to get to the end!
2. Very frank comments on how you felt – angry, scared, amazed, disappointed – and the overall shock of being perceived negatively as ‘a white woman’
3. Tom’s bits, good to have an idea of what young people would be doing
4. Story about Arno, what he was doing, determined, resourceful, single-minded, including details about his work minding the boats (but a long way away from you)
5. Not too much political commentary, just enough to show how utterly uncertain everything was for months and months
6. Story of the roadblocks and how irritating and meaningless they seemed to be, and all the difficulties with curfews, limits on electricity etc.
7. Fantastic bits about sailing, snorkelling, where you went, how you managed the anchor, finding a way through reefs etc. – changed the whole feeling of the book, and the whole feeling about Fiji – it wasn’t all fear about the guns, politics, not all irritation about how difficult it was to work, nor the difficulties of managing domestic lifeKaty Richmond, Melbourne